New Life for Coffee Grounds
Did you know that in 2018, 20 billion lbs of coffee was consumed around the world? Pretty staggering, but what’s even crazier is that only 1% of the beneficial compounds were actually ‘used’, leaving 99% of the spent coffee to be treated as waste in landfills, where it decomposes and creates methane. Enter Denmark-based startup Kaffe Bueno, who was recently announced as one of two winners of Mondelez’s first-ever SnackFutures ‘Future of Snacking” competition. Kaffe Bueno upcycles spent coffee grounds into oils used for diverse purposes such as skin care, sweetener, and flour. The coffee flavor is mostly lost, and this by-product has 3x the protein per gram than almond flour, less calories than buckwheat flour, less fat than coconut flour, and more potassium than a banana. Wow! It’s refreshing to see this company bringing innovation and sustainability to the forefront!
Highlight the Positive
In The World Of Claims
Do you ever look at products and see tons of different claims on the label? Well, recent research has found that consumers are drawn more to claims based on the presence of something good, rather than the absence of something bad. In other words, people would rather see ‘high in protein’, not ‘low in sugar’. Why, you ask? Because positivity plays a central role in motivation, emotions, and decision making. Claims on labels were also viewed as key indicators to determine the perception of healthfulness of the product. I am positive that I love to see healthy options with clear claims to aid in my food purchase decisions!